Great Start Information
Gen. John F. Curry Achievement Requirements
Zulu Flight Cadets are working towards their first promotion at the completion of their initial cadet training. This achievement is called the Curry Award and earns the cadet the promotion from Cadet Basic to Cadet Airman (C/Amn). Below is an outline of the requirements that they must meet as well as the current status of each Zulu Flight Cadet.
- Introduction to CAP Safety for New Members - Online
- Operational Security Briefing (OPSEC) - Non-disclosure of sensitive CAP mission information agreement - Online
- Character Development Class - 2nd weekly cadet meeting of every month - In class
- Cadet Physical Fitness Test (CPFT) - The physical fitness test requires cadets to pass both a running exercise, either a timed mile run or shuttle run, and pass 2 out of 3 field exercises consisting of sit-ups, push-ups, and sit and reach. Times and achievement numbers are based on the President's Physical Fitness challenge and vary by age, gender and cadet promotion phases.
- Leadership 1 Exam - This is an online exam based on Chapter 1 of the Learn to Lead book. 25 questions in 30 minutes - open book) CLICK HERE for a link to the Leadership 1 Exam. You will have to log in to eServices with your CAPID and password, but you will be taken right to the exam section. Once there, read the instructions on the page and click on "Leadership Chapter 1 Test." After that, there will be a pop-up box where it will ask you to agree to take the test yourself (no cheating) and click on "Take Test." Then all you need to do is click on "Start Leadership 1 Test." When you finish, you will know immediately if you passed. Follow all instructions! Remember to click "Finish" when you are done, so your score is recorded.
- Drill Exam - Pass a series of basic, non-movement military drill commands as outlined below:
Fall in, Parade Rest, Attention, Present Arms, Order Arms, About Face, Dress Right Dress, Ready Front, Right Face, Left Face, At Ease, Hand Saute, Eyes Right, Ready Front, Fall out.
- Participate actively in unit activities.
- Board of Review - Cadet will formally report to a private meeting with the Cadet Great Start Staff.
- Recite the Cadet Oath from memory (can be found in Chapter 1 of the Learn to Lead book)
- Recite the 3 missions of Civil Air Patrol from memory (Cadet Programs, Emergency Services and Aerospace Education)
- Recite and translate the CAP Motto - "Semper Vigilans" (Always Vigilant)